- Arts and Sciences Ph.D., M.A., M.F.A M.S.
- Engineering Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy
- A minimum of two consecutive semesters of registration as a full-time, resident graduate student.
- Completion of registration in the semester that degree requirements are met.
- Certification by a department or program committee that all school*, departmental, program, and/or committee requirements have been fulfilled.
- A dissertation approved by at least two referees appointed by the department or program committee and submitted to the library. The dissertation must adhere to the Graduate Board Dissertation Guidelines**. (Referees must certify that the dissertation is a significant contribution to knowledge and worthy of publication).
- Successful completion of a Graduate Board oral examination. As determined by the department or program committee, this is classified as either preliminary or a final examination.
- Though time-to-degree is determined by the department and may not exceed 12 years, continuation in the program will be based/contingent upon satisfactory academic progress after eight years of enrollment. Any approved leave of absence would not count toward the 12 years.
*Whiting School of Engineering doctoral students must complete training on academic ethics and responsible conduct of research. Krieger School of Arts & Sciences students must complete training on the responsible conduct of research if applicable (see policy for details).
Master of Arts
- Minimum of two consecutive semesters of registration as a full-time, resident graduate student.
- Certification by a department or program committee that all departmental or committee requirements have been fulfilled.
- Thesis approved by at least one reader when the department or program requires a thesis.
- Submission of the thesis to the library when a Masters of Arts with Essay is being requested***
- KSAS Master’s Time to Degree Policy