International Students

International Graduate Student Bridge Program

Studying in a foreign country can be both challenging and exciting. International students often experience a period of cultural adjustment when they first arrive to the United States and Johns Hopkins University.

The Graduate Affairs and Admissions Office in collaboration with various offices on the campus launched the International Graduate Student Bridge Program to better support this transition process for new international graduate students.

Student Visa Information

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) assists all international students who have been accepted for full-time graduate study. Upon admission to the University international graduate students will be contacted by OISSS to verify that they have adequate financial resources to meet the costs of living and graduate study in the United States. Following this verification and a review of the graduate student’s application for proof of proficiency in English (TOEFL or IELTS score), international students will be sent the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility. International graduate students will also receive instructions for filing a visa application, and general information to prepare them for study in the United States.


Financial aid for graduate study is very limited. Awards may made on the basis of academic achievement. Qualified international graduate students may apply for departmental support. However, they are not eligible for federal and state government funds used to provide scholarships or loans. A graduate student must be prepared to make arrangements for all possible financial needs before leaving his/her country, and should not count on obtaining scholarships, fellowships, employment, or other financial assistance after arrival in the United States.

Tuition, insurance, and entrance fees must be paid in full at the time of registration or enrollment for the semester. A substantial late fee may be assessed if registration is not completed within the normal registration period.

Resources: Setting Up and Settling In (new graduate students guide) and International Graduate Student and Postdoc Bridge Program.

On Campus

Other Resources

Applying for a Social Security Card (SSN)

Applications for social security cards can be obtained through the OISSS.

Income Tax Questions

Income tax questions can be directed to the JHU Tax Office.