Review the requirements and deadlines. Please note, all documents must be uploaded through the application. Once submitted you will not be able to make changes to your application information using the online application system.Do not mail any documents unless requested or admitted.

Obtain unofficial transcripts from your school(s) student account or Registrar’s office. To obtain your unofficial JHU transcripts: Go to sign in, enter your JHED ID and password, go to Registration/My Grades and click on View Unofficial Transcript. If your transcripts are not issued in English you must submit documents in both the original language and English translation from a professional third party service. Please refer to this site for available services Some departments may not require translations, please check the department’s website for more information.

Obtain the email addresses from your recommenders. In your Apply Yourself online application using your recommenders email addresses you will be able to request electronic letters of recommendations; and the Apply Yourself system is quite simple to use-it will simply solicit your recommender via their email account. They then only need to follow the instructions. We strongly recommend you use the Apply Yourself system. Do not mail in letters of recommendation.
We are able to accept recommendation letters using the Interfolio system. Please to have the letters sent to our office. Once the Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment receives the letter it will be added to your application. Please allow 14 business days processing time, do not mail letters of recommendation to our office.
For Interfolio instructions and FAQs please visit:

Prepare your statement of purpose In lieu of the “statement of purpose”, please refer to the admission requirements of each department. M.F.A. applicants only should include in their statement of purpose a two-page introduction and critique of their work; the statement should give an insight into the scope and thoughtfulness of the work submitted and a sense of the student’s ability to contribute to the Writing Seminars program.Please note: The office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment does not accept paper copies of the statement of purpose. Applicants are required to submit this document through the online application. The uploaded file cannot exceed 500KB in size. The document must also adhere to 1″ (inch) margins.

Have your GRE scores sent through ETS Applicants are required to request recent GRE scores from ETS and submit them to Johns Hopkins before the application deadline. In order for your application to be reviewed, you must include the university’s institution code in your request to ETS. Johns Hopkins University Schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering’s institution code is 5332. Arrangements may be made to take the GRE by contacting: GRE/Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08540 or the web site at : Department codes: Applicants do not need to select a department code. As long as the institutional code of 5332 has been selected, the scores will be delivered to the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering’s admissions office. GRE Subject Test: The following departments require the subject test:

Physics and Astronomy, Mathematics Chemistry (or any other science or math-based GRE Subject exam), English Chemical Biology, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics and Statistics Biology

Prepare any supplemental material required by your department. The following departments require each applicant to submit a sample of work, such as a paper, thesis or publication. Please consult the department before submitting any documentation.

Anthropology The sample of work could be based on: (a) a term paper on a course, (b) a report on fieldwork or (c) a senior thesis
Classics A writing sample
Cognitive Science This should be a research paper or written project that demonstrates an applicant’s analytical thinking. (average 10 – 20 pages)
English 25 pages or less of an applicant’s best critical writing
German and Romance Languages The writing sample should reflect the applicant’s area of interest. It should be about 20-25 pages in length.
History A copy of what, in the applicant’s judgment, is his/her best research paper. (No specific page limit.)
History of Art A paper of significant length that demonstrates the student’s ability to describe and analyze preferably on the subject of art or art history
History of Science and Technology A writing sample
Humanities Center A writing sample
Near Eastern Studies The sample of written work should be related to the field or the applicant’s area of concentration. It should be about 12 – 15 pages in length
Philosophy The sample of written work should reflect the applicant’s area of interest, and generally does not have to be more than 20 pages in length
Political Science The sample of work could be based on a term paper on a course, a report on fieldwork or a senior thesis
Psychological and Brain Sciences A sample of an applicant’s most professional writing. A published work is acceptable, but not required
Sociology A writing sample
Writing Seminars Fiction – 2 to 3 short stories or a self-contained section of a novel (40 page maximum, double spaced). Poetry – 10 poems (25 page maximum)

Important: The online application can only accept samples of work up to 500KB in size. The document must also adhere to 1″ (inch) margins. We only accept samples of work via paper that exceed the 500KB size limit. Please do not send duplicates of documents that were successfully uploaded to the online system. Please note: Engineering, Arts and Sciences only accepts samples of work in English, except for the German and Romance Languages Department. (This program accepts samples of work in French, German, Italian and Spanish.)

Supplementary application forms must be uploaded directly to the online application.
Note to Biophysics non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. permanent resident applicants: 
A training grant from the National Institutes of Health provides the first two years of tuition and stipend support for graduate students in the Program in Molecular Biophysics. However, this support is limited to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents. International applicants will be required to demonstrate financial support for their studies in the form provided below as part of their application, and will be required to deposit funds covering the first two years of tuition and living expenses with the University prior to April 15. If the funds are not deposited in a timely manner, any offer of admission to the Program in Molecular Biophysics will be null and void. Applicants should take these requirements into consideration when deciding whether or not to incur the expense of the nonrefundable application fee.

Have application fee payment ready to submit. A non-refundable fee of $75.00 is required for each application to the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering, with the following exceptions: the departments of Civil Engineering, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and the Information Security Institute charge a non-refundable $25.00 application fee. Materials Science and Engineering waives the application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Payment may be made online via Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. The application fee may be waived for applicants with documented (must be uploaded within the application) registration/participation in one of the following programs: GEM, Department Request, SACNAS, MMUF, POSSE, JHU Grad Student, McNair, ABRCMS, Vietnam Education Foundation, IRT, Graduate Horizons, Chocktaw/Chickasaw Scholarship Advisement Program, Baltimore Scholars Program, Leadership Alliance, UMBC Meyerhoff Program, LSAMP, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program, Project 1000, MARC and University of Puerto Rico Students. To request a waiver based on financial hardship please select the option on the application and upload one of the following: FAFSA SAR Report, a letter from a college/university financial aid office, unemployment verification. Do not send tax returns. All documents will be reviewed and verified for satisfactory evidence. If the uploaded document is not accepted you will be contacted to resubmit or to pay the application fee. For further information please complete the Contact Form.

Begin the online application by creating an account.PLEASE NOTE: United States Social Security Numbers are included as part of student tuition information for U.S. taxes (IRS Form 1098-T) and are used for enrollment verification through the National Student Clearinghouse. If you have a valid social security number it is to your advantage to use it though not required. After the first day of classes, any change to your Government ID requires presentation of your Social Security Card to the Registrar’s Office.

Note: All supporting application documents must be uploaded through the application, test scores must be sent directly to Johns Hopkins University through the testing service.